Monday 8 October 2007

Misc

Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder

Earlier this year, as I began to explore what has been termed "Web 2.0", I soon learned about how information and the idea of knowledge construction in the everyday life on the net have started making some fundamental shifts. It led me to putting together a presentation that I shared with some teachers, although I do not yet know the exact implications of these shifts for learning and schools.

David Weinberger has created a wonderful book that so clearly explains what it is all about. With a good dose of history and drawing from some powerful parallels, he has beautifully described this new digital disorder which he calls going miscellaneous.

I especially enjoyed the chapter "What Nothing Says" in which David explores that idea of the importance of the implicit in what he calls the "third-order world".

This is a 2007 publication that is available at our National Library. Grab "Everything is Miscellaneous" and enjoy a good and, IMHO, an essential read.

No comments: